48 Hour PH Study
BRAVO Ambulatory pH Recording (while off stomach medication)
Bravo pH Monitoring collects 48 hours of pH data, twice the data of conventional catheter-based tests, increasing the ability to document relationships between atypical and reflux events. The 48 hours of data, allows your physician to evaluate your reflux symptoms and determine the best course of treatment for you.
How the Procedure Works
When you are ready for your procedure, you will be asked to sit or lie back while the physician places the capsule into the esophagus. After the capsule is in place, suction is applied, drawing a small amount of tissue into the capsule. The capsule is then locked into place. The placement procedure is simple to perform and well tolerated by most patients.
The capsule begins measuring the pH levels of the esophagus immediately, transmitting pH measurements wirelessly to a small receiver worn on your waistband or belt. The receiver houses three symptom buttons, and you will be asked to press the corresponding button when you experience heartburn, regurgitation, or chest pain during the procedure. You also will be asked to keep a diary and record periods of sleeping and eating during the procedure.
Upon completion of the procedure,you will return the recording device and diary to your physician, who will upload the data and analyze the results to determine the appropriate diagnosis. The disposable capsule will spontaneously detach and pass naturally through a bowel movement a few days after the test.
PREPARATION FOR PROCEDURE:
• 7 days prior to the test, STOP TAKING your stomach medications (Proton pump inhibitors e.g. Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid, Aciphex, Omeprozole, Zegerid, etc.) 3 days prior to the test, discontinue H2 Blockers like Ranitidine, Tagamet and Axid.
• Do not eat or drink for at least 10 hours prior to the test.
• Do take your regular medications the morning of the procedure with a little sip of water (e.g. for blood pressure).
• You will receive moderate sedation for the upper endoscopy and Bravo capsule placement.
• You may not drive yourself home after the test; please arrange for a family member or friend to pick you up.
• Bring the completed Questionnaire with you.
• Remember to return the receiver to our office after 48 hours.
• It is VERY important to return the diary and the receiver that will be given to you.